Winchester History Films

Winchester History Films

These are films about the local history of Winchester Massachusetts. To see the films just click on the start arrow and enjoy!

The Colonel (50 min.)

The Colonel is the story of the namesake of the Town of Winchester Massachusetts, Lt. Colonel William Parsons Winchester.

Winchester's Ghost Railroad (46 min.)

Winchester's Ghost Railroad In 1875, fed-up with high shipping costs and shabby treatment from the Boston & Lowell Railroad, tannery owners in Winchester and Woburn Massachusetts banded together to promote and build a new railroad line from Wilmington to Somerville Massachusetts, calling it the Boston & Mystic Valley Railroad. Construction started in Woburn in the spring of 1878 but was never finished due to poor management, politics, and bad timing. Although the road was graded over its 14.5 mile length, tracks were never laid. Scars of this endeavor are still visible on the Winchester and Woburn landscapes, notably the northern section of the Woburn Loop and in Winter Pond. The major players in this story are Charles Adams Jr., Stephen Dob, and Samuel Twombly.

The Great Wall of Winchester (51 min.)

The Great Wall of Winchester From 1835 until 1956, the Boston & Lowell RR grade crossing in Winchester Center was both dangerous and an impediment to traffic. The grade crossing was supposed to be abolished in 1835, so why did it take so long? For decades Winchester residents wanted it abolished. It took years of seemingly endless debates and a myriad of proposed plans before it was finally abolished in 1956, with the overpass and station construction. This film is the story of the decades long, often acrimonious process to get the grade crossing abolished.

The Dream (45 min.)

The Dream documents the 1999 decision of the Winchester Historical Society to obtain a long term lease on the Sanborn House with the goal of creating a home for the Historical Society, restore the property, and establish a Historical and Cultural Center for the town. The six year odyssey, that culminated in a 75 year lease, is told by two of the Historical Society's past Presidents, Gail Sjo and Carol Keller.